Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
The purpose of the Bachelor of Science with a major in Mathematics is to broadly prepare students for the multidisciplinary field of practice that is concerned with the structure and the application of mathematics. The degree includes tracks for students interested in pursuing secondary-education licensure as well as mathematical sciences.
- Program Goals
- Develop mathematical thinking and communication skills.
- Develop skill in a variety of technological tools including a programming course.
- Provide a broad view of the mathematical sciences.
- Require in-depth study of a single advanced area (a year-long sequence in analysis or completion of two closely related algebra courses).
- Create a foundation of interdisciplinary study which includes an advanced data-oriented statistics course.
- Encourage and nurture majors.
Additionally, for majors preparing to be secondary school (9–12) teachers, program goals include:
- Develop appropriate connections between advanced mathematics and the secondary mathematics curriculum
- Include the history of mathematics and its applications in the curriculum, including recent developments
- Provide experience in many forms of mathematical modeling and a variety of technological tools, including graphing calculators and geometry software.
- Demonstrate knowledge in a broad core of mathematical topics, including discrete mathematics, linear algebra, abstract algebra, analysis, and differential equations.
- Utilize mathematical preparation to successfully complete more advanced courses by using foundational mathematical principles.
- Use probability and statistics and recognize the role of probability and statistics within the general field of mathematics and its applications.
- Select and utilize appropriate computational tools within the context of mathematical problem solving.
- Make effective use of modern mathematical software as a tool for visualization and problem solving.
- Utilize appropriate methods of communicating mathematical information at a level of sophistication appropriate for the intended audience.