Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management
The purpose of the Hospitality Management program is to provide and continually improve a curriculum responsive to the dynamics of the regional hospitality industry. This will be achieved through teaching, applied research and service. The department will provide a high quality educational experience for students through excellence in teaching, conduct applied research to advance knowledge in the discipline, and provide outreach and service to the state and local hospitality and tourism industries.
- Program Goals
- Provide students with knowledge of hospitality management principles and practices applicable to current and future marketplaces that contribute to individual and industry success.
- Prepare students to contribute to their organizations and the larger society and to grow personally and professionally throughout their careers.
- Foster students in analytical and decision-making skills; communication skills; a global perspective; a sense of social responsibility and business ethics; and characteristics of leadership.
- Meet demands of regional students who wish to pursue a baccalaureate degree in hospitality management.
- Attract diverse, career-oriented students by making available a curriculum that corresponds to regional hospitality industry needs.
- Contribute to economic development in the region and the state by delivering educational opportunities that establish and/or improve the workforce for existing, expanding, relocating and new hospitality oriented businesses.
- Establish a learning environment in hospitality management disciplines that contributes to cooperation and collaboration with the hospitality industry community in the region and state.
- Apply theories, concepts and applications relating to effective leadership and management of hospitality operations.
- Outline the unique problems and issues associated with hospitality, tourism, and related service industries.
- Evaluate the economic, environmental, and social relationships in the hospitality, tourism, and related service industries.
- Evaluate data to inform decision-making.
- Demonstrate communication skills in a professional setting.
- Apply the principles of diversity and inclusion across various settings and populations.
- Demonstrate competencies required of a professional in the hospitality, tourism, and related service industries.