Earn a Degree in Communication Studies
The purpose of the University of South Carolina Beaufort’s baccalaureate in Communication Studies program is to provide its students a broad understanding of the role of communication in society. The program focuses on the fundamental theories, principles, and practices within a variety of contexts including interpersonal, group, organizational, and cultural communication as well as the evolving role of the media in contemporary society. As a core of liberal arts education, the communication studies major fosters critical self-reflection and empowers students with essential oral and written communication skills to become effective members of society. The program will prepare graduates both for professional careers related to communication and graduate programs in communication studies.
- Program Goals
- Meet demands of regional students who wish to pursue a baccalaureate degree in communication studies.
- Foster a fundamental understanding of the communication process.
- Provide students with knowledge of the key communication principles, theories and research/scholarship that results in students becoming self-reflective, competent, ethical communicators; critical consumers of communication in a variety of contexts; a global perspective and critical reading/thinking skills.
- Provide opportunities for students to gain experience and knowledge in conducting communication studies research/scholarship.
- Provide opportunities for students to practice oral communication skills, both speaking and listening.
- Prepare students to contribute to their future education and work environments.
- Identify and describe the contexts, dynamics, and implications of human communication
- Explain and apply the major theoretical communication studies perspectives
- Explain and utilize the major research methodologies used in the study of communication
- Discuss the implications of factors that affect communication, such as: culture, gender, group composition, leadership, nonverbal behavior, family background, communication environment, and ethics
- Perform effectively as a communicator in public, group and media communication contexts
- Analyze and critically evaluate communication practices, structures, messages, and outcomes
- Critically read and evaluate communication studies research/scholarship
- Engage in communication studies research/scholarship